Are you preparing to curl up for winter? Think again! Just because summer’s over, it’s no time to pack on some winter padding.
Follow these 30-minute autumn workout tips to stay trim and toned all year round by the director of fitness education at Herbalife, Samantha Clayton. You’ll need a sturdy chair, a set of hand weights, a mat or non-slip floor. Don’t forget to do pre-workout warm-up cardio exercises for 10 minutes to prepare your body for exercise. For example, you can jog on the spot for five minutes, followed by jumping jacks or jump rope. Or, if it’s not too cold, head outside and walk around the block followed by a light jog.
Autumn Workout Moves
Arm and shoulder combination using weights
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart while holding the weights down by your sides.
- Curl the weight up to work your bicep muscle, then rotate your wrist so your palms are facing each other.
- Press the weight overhead at shoulder height to effectively work your shoulder muscles.
Plié squat with arm pull
Legs, glutes, inner thighs and trapezius muscles
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, with your toes pointed out.
- Hold the weights with your palms facing your body.
- Slowly lower into a squat as if you are sliding down a wall keeping your back straight. As you come up to standing, pull the weights toward your chest leading with your elbows and repeat.
Triceps – the muscles at the back of your top arms
- Sit in your chair and place your hands on the seat behind you.
- Now, place your feet out in front of you, keeping your thighs parallel to the floor.
- Lower out of the chair and, as you bend your arms, your elbows should go behind you, supporting your body weight.
- Finish this move by pushing back up to the starting position.
Hands and knees balance
Total-body move for abdominal core muscles, arms and legs
- Get down to the floor on your hands and knees.
- Position yourself so that your wrists are directly underneath your shoulders and your hips are over your knees. Try and keep your back flat.
- Then lift up one leg behind you and also lift the opposite arm out in front of you. You can either hold this pose or crunch by bringing your knee to chest and your elbow to knee.
- Once you’ve done one side, remember to repeat on the other side.
Curtsy lunge with leg lift
Inner and outer thighs as well as glutes
- Stand tall and place your hands on a chair back for balance.
- Take a backward lunge step with your left leg, taking your back foot just past the midline of your body. The knee on your front leg (right leg) should not pass the line of your toe as you lower your body.
- Keep your core muscles tight and back straight. Return to standing. Keeping a flexed foot, take your leg out to the side.
Bridge pose with chest press
Chest muscles, core and glutes
- Start by lying on your back for practising the bridge pose.
- Squeeze your glutes and raise your hips up off the floor to make a straight line from the shoulder to the knees. Once you are able to hold this position, you can add in the chest press. Hold your weights with your palms facing forward and in line with your chest.
- Press the weights up, hold for a second, then return to the starting position.
Do 10 to 12 repetitions of each exercise and try to repeat for three sets. For more workout ideas that you can do at home, check out my Body Blast video series on YouTube.
Source: Herbal Life. Images: iStock