Everyone gets a little stressed every now and then. Learn how you can be less anxious in these five simple ways.
- Reduce your caffeine, alcohol and nicotine intake – Replace alcoholic and caffeinated beverages with herbal teas, water or diluted natural fruit juices. Ensure you eat healthily all the time.
- Engage in physical activities or exercise – When faced with stress, your hormone stress levels such as adrenaline and cortisol increase. Exercising or engaging in any physical activity can metabolise your excessive stress hormones and assist in restoring your body and mind to a much calmer, more relaxed state. If exercising feels like too much work, take a walk or turn on the music and dance.
- Sleep more – Not getting enough sleep can contribute to your stress, so try to sleep for at least seven to eight hours every night. Also, make sure your bedroom is sleep-ready; a cluttered environment can also interrrupt your sleep. Keep it neat!
- Talk to a friend – Sometimes not talking about what’s bothering you can weigh you down.
- Relax – Meditate, control your breathing or take a few breathing classes if necessary. Do this every morning and evening to channel positive thoughts into your day.