Shopping online is easy and convenient, but it can make you vulnerable to online fraud. Empower yourself with these eight tips on how to keep your credit card details safe.
Chris Labuschagne, CEO of Credit Card at FNB says, “Online shopping continues to be a growing trend in South Africa. More and more consumers regularly buy everything from basic household necessities to clothing, gifts and gadgets at the click of a button.” Don’t be caught off guard by online fraudsters!
- Ensure that you are buying from reputable sites and apps.
- Enter the provider’s website by typing in the web address yourself instead of accessing it via a search engine, as it might lead you to a spoofed site.
- Never access the website from a link you receive in an e-mail SMS.
- Always check the security icon on your browser tool bar for a padlock and a URL that begins with https rather than http.
- Never save your personal and banking details on any merchant website and click ‘No’ when asked!
- Log off immediately every time you have finished shopping.
- Invest in the latest anti-virus software for your PC and mobile device where possible.
- Never provide your credit card details unless you’ve initiated the transaction.
Following these quick safety precautions and keeping abreast of the measures that your bank is using to prevent online fraud will give you peace of mind when shopping online with your credit card.
Source: FNB. Images: Pixabay