Brush up on your family’s oral care routine to avoid tooth decay.
Dirna Grobbelaar, oral hygiene expert and mother of twins, shares the following tips to keep your family smile healthy.
Brush correctly twice a day, for a full two minutes each time, using either a brush with a built-in timer or even an app on your phone like Brush Busters.
- Daily cleaning in-between the teeth should start as soon as the teeth start to touch one another, usually from around age two.
- Floss is not the only option. Look for an interdental tool that suits, like interdental brushes, a floss handle and oral irrigator.
- Like the teeth and gums, the tongue also becomes coated with plaque and food debris; therefore, gently clean the tongue every day, ideally using a specially designed tongue scraper.
- For extra fresh-breath confidence, older children and adults can swish with an alcohol-free mouthwash.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet, avoiding sugary foods and drinks. If the family does indulge, don’t brush immediately; rather rinse with water, then wait an hour or so before brushing.
- Finally, ideally go for a professional clean at an oral hygienist every six months and see the dentist for a thorough annual check-up.
When it comes to oral care, prevention is always better than cure.
Source: IVO Health. Image: Pixabay