“Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, it’s neatly tucked in my closet, so you better listen up young lady.” That was and still is my mother’s favourite line right before she gives me her sometimes-unsolicited advice about everything that is life.
We agree, mom knows best, but be honest, how often did you give her the major eye roll when she started going off? More often than not, right? Their take on life and relationships can be sometimes old school, and although we may feel that their words are outdated, it does come from a certain place of wisdom and now that we’re mature, we’ve come to realize that all in all, they’re wise words have thought us a lot and maybe we should’ve listened when she started belting off.
So now that you have time, read through the 20 things mom said that we should’ve listened to.
- “Don’t believe everything you hear.” – This line is very important, especially when it comes to ones self-esteem.
- “If you keep rolling your eyes like that, they’ll get stuck at the back of your head.” – Right… as I roll my big eyes
- “Never give or receive anything with your left hand.” – All I know is that this was/is considered rude, is it?
- “Take it easy and let him be the man.”
- “Don’t rush into the next relationship, take your time and get to know yourself.”
- “You can’t change a man.” – Many relationships later, and this is so true…
- “You can be whatever you want to be.”
- “There’s no use crying over spilt milk.”
- “When I was your age, I had to walk uphill, through snow, all by myself to get to school.” – uh-huh
- “You’re the oldest, you should know better.”
- “You’ll understand when you’re older.” – Now I do.
- “Listen to your gut, you’ll know when it’s right.”
- “Know when he is not worth it.”
- “Avoid permanent love marks.” – Never get a tattoo with the name of your boyfriend.
- “Do everything you do with dignity and you won’t have any regrets.”
- “If you love something, let it go, and if it comes back to you, it’s yours forever. If it doesn’t, then it was never meant to be.”
- “Before anything and anyone else, your daughter should come first.”
- “Never be more into him than he is into to you.”
- “The best secret to an everlasting relationship is laughter.”
- “A man who knows how to treat a woman will do you good.”
Ok, maybe number 2 and 9 are a bit out there, but you’ve definitely come across these lines a million times growing up. Can you think of anything your mama said that would’ve saved you from getting burnt, if only you’d listened?