Dull skin, particularly in winter, is a dilemma shared by many women, but you don’t have to resort to a superficial product switch. Instead, form health choices that will help your skin to glow from within.
The state of your skin is a direct result of what’s going on inside you. Try these tips and watch your complexion improve.
- Smoking dehydrates the skin and is often the underlying cause of a dull complexion and signs of ageing. Decreasing or eliminating your nicotine consumption will have a direct, positive result on your skin.
- Avocado is a fantastic ingredient to use in homemade facemasks as well as your diet. Try half an avocado every day chopped into your salad or spread on toast for a dose of healthy fats and nutrients that will hydrate your skin from the inside out.
- Exercise: Have you ever noticed how fantastic your skin looks after your post-gym shower? That’s because a good cardio session will increase your heart rate and blood flow to the brain, so it’s time to get sweaty!
- Get a good night’s sleep. Your skin regenerates itself when you are sleeping, particularly between the hours of 10pm and 2pm. Catching more Z’s will give your skin more time to restore itself, so don’t be a night owl and miss out on all the beauty benefits of sleep such as collagen building.
- Have more sex. You read that right! The post-sex glow is a real thing! Getting busy improves your circulation and reduces your stress hormones. Orgasms also spike levels of DHEA, a hormone that has been linked to glowing, healthier-looking skin.
- Embrace bacteria: Keep your gut health in check; it’s where you make nutrients that contribute to collagen production and detoxifying enzymes. A daily probiotic can keep your gut balanced and digestion optimal. Try a daily cup of yoghurt.