The road to the S.Pellegrino Young Chef 2018 Grand Finale might still be long, but the 10 semi-finalists from each of the 21 regions worldwide are now one step closer.
Selected from thousands of applications submitted by young chefs from over 90 different countries, the semi-finalists are part of a global talent search for the world’s best young chef and present a unique occasion to meet international culinary talents, share ideas, experience different culinary cultures and learn. Of the 10 selected Africa-Middle East region semi-finalists, South Africa boasts five:
- Bianca Strydom
- Garth Rauben Heimer
- Paul Prinsloo
- Sheldon Raju
- Vusumuzi Ndlovu
The other five candidates include:
- Aditya Kumar Jha (Abu Dhabi): Chef at Tamba with his dish, Cryo Fried Banjara Gosht
- Georgios Spandos (Reunion Island): Sous Chef at Palm Hotel & Spa with his dish, The Path to the Purpose
- Nigel Lobo (Dubai): Chef at The Eloquent Elephant with his dish, Steamed Patagonian toothfish, spiced lobster mousse, moilee sauce, sukha javla
- Mario Christianto (Dubai): Chef at The Exchange Grill Restaurant with his dish, Sous Vide Duck breast with tamarind sauce, orange purée, apple licorice, foie gras.
- Jorge Alexis Falcon Valera (Bahrain): Sous Chef at Cantina Kahlo with his dish, Raices
Experts at the World’s Leading International Educational and Training Centre evaluated each young chef’s application and signature dish for Italian Cuisine, ALMA, in charge of the local finalist selection in adherence to the ‘five golden rules’: ingredients, skill, genius, beauty and message. Andrea Sinigaglia, General Manager of ALMA said, “It is the third time now that we have the responsibility to select the young chefs for the local finals, but we continue to be amazed by how much flair and passion for fine food these young talents possess.”
“Having to select only 10 semi-finalists for each region when you are presented with so many interesting applications is not at all easy. It is also our responsibility to accompany all candidates in a way that renders the competition realistic and highly educational. S.Pellegrino Young Chef is not only a chance to emerge, but also a moment of international encounter, exchange and sharing.”
From June to December 2017, the semi-finalists of each region will compete in local challenges for a jury composed of leading independent chefs. The local challenge for Africa-Middle East will be held in Dubai during October 2017. For more information, visit S.Pellegrino or Fine Dining Lovers.
Source and images: Amplicon PR