Thinking of skipping breakfast this morning? Think again! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should be at the top of our list of priorities.
- Metabolism – Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism. If you’re trying to lose weight, it’s always a good idea to make time for a healthy breakfast. What’s more, a decent breakfast will help curb those afternoon junk food cravings
- Cognitive function – Breakfast restores glucose levels, an essential carbohydrate that is needed for the brain to function. Many studies have shown how eating breakfast can improve memory and concentration levels, as well as how it has a direct link to our mood and lowers stress levels.
- Decreased heart disease risk – One study from Harvard University found that men who skipped breakfast had a 27% higher risk of heart disease than breakfast-eaters.
- Lowered diabetes risk – A study from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that women who skip breakfast are more likely to be at risk for type 2 diabetes. Skipping breakfast causes a drop in insulin and this constant flux in insulin levels can cause issues later on.
- Improves alertness – That quick cup of morning coffee will only get you so far. A good breakfast will improve your alertness throughout the day.
There are so many breakfast-on-the-go options that there is no real excuse to skimp on it. They don’t call it the most important meal of the day for nothing!