Water is definitely life; without it we won’t survive. This should be reason enough for us to take care of the little we have as we depend on it for survival.
In February 2016, Dr Jakkie Cilliers, head of African Futures and Innovation at the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) told The Star newspaper that ‘South Africa is experiencing the worst drought in 23 years and demand for water is not slowing down. If South Africa doesn’t address the gap between water supply and demand now, the problem could worsen by 2035’.
With the current challenges South Africa is facing, Sunlight believes water needs to be savoured in a few ways and it important for everyone to play their part in preserving our precious source of life. With the following tips, Sunlight believes we can beat the water crisis:
- Preserve water for a second round of dishwashing.
- Wash dishes less often.
- Take a bath using a bucket or a bathtub, rather than having a shower.
- Wash less often; instead of twice a day, do it once.
- Share bathing water with your family.
- Use the same water to wash all the colours; wash whites first followed by colours.
- Handwashing uses less water.
- Use laundry water to rinse or mop the floor.
- Use laundry water to flush the toilet.