Steve Harvey once said: “Never withhold the cookie from your husband.” But what if you suffer from low libido and a roll in the hay is the last thing on your mind?
These are a few ways in which you can increase your libido and ensure a healthy sex life with your partner.
- Don’t bother with aphrodisiac foods – You don’t have to eat broccoli florets by the ton; studies show that ‘aphrodisiac foods’ don’t have any real effect on an already low libido.
- Exercise – Exercise helps you to become more in touch with your body and releases feel-good hormones, which increase libido. After a run around the block, you could try for a roll between the sheets.
- Testosterone – Increasing your testosterone levels can help improve your sex drive, but it is essential to consult a doctor prior to any type of hormone therapy. The wrong dosage could result in acne and facial hair growth. Yikes!
- Seek therapy – Sometimes psychological factors come into play here. If you have a past of abuse or you are under severe stress, seeking help from a therapist or qualified sexologist can be the solution.
- Almond oil – Are you drier than the Sahara? There are plenty personal lubricants available on the market. However, almond oil is recommended by many gynaecologists, as it is longer wearing and more natural in sensation than most lubricants – not to mention cheaper!
- Chat to your partner – Sometimes you just need to speak openly to your partner about the issue. He may take it personally and find it difficult to accept, but if it is not an issue that stems from relationship unhappiness with your partner, you need to be clear. An understanding and loving partner is crucial when it comes to overcoming a low libido.
- Set aside time for intimacy – Sex shouldn’t be a chore! If you find you’re constantly tired or inattentive to your partner, try to set aside time each week in your schedule for intimacy. This does not necessarily mean sex – a date night or some pillow talk can help revive a lost spark and reopen the door for a more intimate connection.