Have you heard of the Neon Run? It is South Africa’s most luminous race and it will be hitting Jozi soon.
Taking place on the 2 September 2017, the 5km race has enough neon lights to keep the city aglow with excitement. All level of runners are invited and, for those of you have never even walked that distance before, these tips will help you shine.
- Wear a pair of race-ready shoes. A new pair will need to be broken in so that they are comfy, so either stick with your old faithfuls or test-run your new takkies for a while beforehand to avoid blisters.
- A little practise beforehand is not a bad idea. Gather up a group of friends and start working those muscles. There is still plenty of time to squeeze in a little race rehearsal. Start slow and do short walks, then increase the distance gradually. Check out ‘couch to 5k’-type training apps to help you get into shape.
- Eat healthily. Have wholesome meals before the race. Smaller portions of proteins and carbs are ideal to provide you with the energy needed on the day.
- Hydrate before the race, but slow down from 30 minutes prior to hearing the starter pistol. Sip on your water while running, instead of taking big gulps.
- Chafing can be a real pain. Most runners put Vaseline or baby powder on their tender bits before the race to prevent uncomfortable chafing.
- Warm up before the start with some light stretches. Pulling a muscle is not fun – and fun is what the Neon Run is all about!
- Stay active for about 10 minutes after the race is over, as part of a cool-down exercise to prevent stiffness the following day.
- Once cooled down, eat in small amounts to top up your energy and prevent you from feeling ill.
- Keep active the next day. Low impact exercise will help ward off stiffness, aches and pains, and keep those muscles active.
- The race can be walked, run, cycled or skated. If not walking or running, ensure that all the wheels or tyres are checked the day before the race.
With adequate preparation and planning, you will be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of this spectacular event, light up the night with neon colours and have a blast while doing it!
Date: Saturday, 2 September 2017
Venue: St Stithians College, Sandton
Time: Doors open at 2pm and festival closes at 11:30pm
Tickets: Available at Neon Run
Source and images: Philippa Harvey