The festive season is around the corner and that means you, together with millions of South Africans, are set to take the nation’s roads during this holiday season.
In ensuring that you get the most out of the journey, our friend Avis has 10 travel tips for you to make sure everything goes smoothly on your trip.
- Before you embark on your journey, ensure your vehicle has had a full service check, including tyre pressure, petrol and water level, spare tyre and emergency/medicine kit.
- Check that your vehicle licence disc is up to date and visible.
- Familiarise yourself with your car (indicators, windscreen wipers, etc.) before you get going.
- Always carry a valid driver’s licence when you are driving.
- Be courteous on the road and ensure you and your passengers are wearing seatbelts. Rather give way and practise caution by not overtaking near blind rises, blind spots or barrier lines. This can go a long way to ensuring you and your family stays safe.
- Stick to the speed limit. Use your headlights during the day to increase your visibility. Enjoy the journey and arrive alive at your intended destination.
- Never talk on a mobile phone without using a hands-free kit. Doing so will leave you liable to a traffic fine for this offence.
- Make sure you do not overextend yourself while driving by having a second driver in the vehicle to share the load with you. Make regular stops, as being overtired impairs your ability as much as alcohol does.
- Be aware of weather forecasts. Impaired visibility during bad weather such as heavy mist, thunderstorms, hail or flash flooding can also be detrimental.
- Always make sure your cell phone is charged and have your roadside assistance contact information on hand, in case of an emergency.
Avis and EOA Daily wish you a safe and pleasurable journey as you explore our beautiful country.
Source and image: Avis.